Skip to main content

Happy Howl – o- ween

By October 31, 2014 November 19th, 2014 Seasonal hazards

Pumpkin beagle

Although Halloween can be full of lots of fun, pets can get into a lot of trouble during this time of year. Sweet treats, especially chocolate, are very tempting to pets but can be quite toxic if eaten in excess. Just like people, too much of a good thing can cause upset tummies in pets too. In addition, some sweets are toxic to pets. Unsweetened chocolate is more hazardous than sweetened but both can be a concern if eaten in large quantities. Macadamia nuts, raisins and chewing gum containing xylitol are also on the watch list. Even the glow sticks kids wave and wear at night are hazardous to pets. Monitor for signs of vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, lethargy, weakness, even possibly seizures. Pets prone to pancreatitis or who have sensitive digestive tracts already are especially at risk. Pets that are indiscriminate eaters may be more at risk of intestinal blocakages requiring surgery. If your pet shows any concerning signs, or you have just witnessed a ransacking of Johnny’s pillowcase, seek veterinary attention immediately. Insurance claims go up on average 250-300% at this time of year because of avoidable candy mishaps. So keep the candy stash well away from Fido and Sylvester.